A silver-plated brass cornet. The mouth piece detaches and three valves remain in situ with just one remaining complete. One valve has cork pushed into it and the base of all the valve shafts are missing components. Stamps ’40’ and ’41’ are visible on two valves.
The cornet is inscribed with ‘BALL BEAVON & CO LONDON’ on the top of the bell. Ball Beavon & Co London were a wholesale musical instrument supplier operating in London between 1888 and 1914.
This instrument was part of a suite used by the Cloughjordan Brass and Reed Band established for the people of Cloughjordan in 1914 by the Rev. Fr. O’Dea.