The original Catholic Church providing services to the community at Cloughjordan was located at Grawn about one and a half miles outside of the town. In Penal times a ‘Penal Chapel’ was located opposite the current site at Grawn. This consisted of a small thatched one roomed structure adjacent to the ‘Priests House’, now demolished. In 1830, the Parish Priest, Fr. Thomas Dunne organised the construction of the new church on a site provided by the O’Kennedy family of Coolnamona. Williams, R. 1999 In and Out of School in the Home of the MacDonaghs.