This cast iron Station Badge would have been fixed to the wall of the RIC Barracks building in Cloughjordan. Station badges were painted by the men in May each year. Colour patterns were issued on cardboard and the cost of paint was to be charged to the public.
The Barracks building was located at Main Street, Cloughjordan in the premises now next door to the Pharmacy. The badge is made of cast iron with the insignia of the RIC, the Harp and Crown and with the words Royal Irish Constabulary inscribed on its perimeter. The RIC was disbanded in 1922.
In September 1920 there was a Public House operated by Annie Williams located beside the Barracks. At that time the IRA were attacking RIC Barracks (The Borrisokane Barracks had been burned down in June) and the Military authorities feared an attack could be launched in Cloughjordan from the Public House next door. An order was issued to vacate the Public House and it was demolished by the police and military.