Thomas MacDonagh’s mother gave lessons to her own and local children on this small square grand piano. The Brazilian Rosewood piano, with covered ivory and ebony keys, was built in about 1850 by the London firm of Collard and Collard, and the maker’s number is still visible.
Mary MacDonagh, née Parker, died in 1908 and her piano came into the possession of Mrs Winifred Hynes, one of her students, who had progressed to become organist in Saints Michael and John’s Church, Cloughjordan. Mrs Hynes played for the funeral Mass of Mrs. MacDonagh.
She and her family lived where the Thomas MacDonagh Museum stands today. Later the family moved to live over their public house, Grahams. The piano remained in that house for four generations before it was taken away for storage. Restoration work on the sound-box and intricate fretwork has been carried out by Conservation Letterfrack.